Women's Only Ohio Concealed Carry Course
Basic - Earn your certificate that will help you obtain your CCW/CHL (concealed handgun license)
Duration: 8 hours total, usually 6 hours classroom, 2 hours range time
There are no upcoming classes scheduled for this course.
The goal of the Second Amendment Foundation Training Division's “Defensive Handgun 1” course is to provide the student with a solid foundation in basic knowledge of handgun safety, various types of handguns, an understanding of ammunition and how it functions, shooting fundamentals and an introduction to defensive shooting skills.
A student new to the use of a firearm for personal defense typically has a broad range of questions and is faced with learning a number of skills that are critical in the use of a firearm – in this case a handgun – to defend themselves, their family or someone in their charge. Defensive Handgun 1 is specifically designed to provide a person new to handguns the opportunity to gain that knowledge and learn those skills.
- Safe handling of your firearm
- Safe storage of your firearm and ammunition
- Basic components of a double action revolver
- Basic components of a semi-automatic pistol
- Operation of a double–action revolver
- Operation of a single and a double action semi-automatic pistol
- Working with a natural defensive stance
- 2-handed and single handed engagements
- Integrating the color code into your life
- Lawful use of force
- Finding your balance of speed and precision
- Clearing common pistol stoppages
- Progressive shooting drills
- Definition of cover and concealment
- Use of cover
- Selecting a pistol and ammunition
- Cleaning and maintaining your pistols
- In addition to the SAFTD curriculum, there will be a section of this course that includes an overview of: the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission (this pamphlet is currently out of print with the State of Ohio, so it is not available at this time) We will provide students with a link to print an application for concealed carry, special requests to print this application for you are accepted and can be made during class.
Expectations and Outcomes
The state of Ohio requires a person who wants to apply for an Ohio License to Carry a Concealed Handgun otherwise known as a “CCW Permit” to meet certain educational criteria.
The Second Amendment Foundation Training Division's “Defensive Handgun 1” course exceeds that criteria. For that reason we have chosen to use this curriculum for students who would like to obtain the training necessary to apply to the State of Ohio for their Cary permit.
Passing students will earn a certificate of completion that they can present to their local sheriff's department concealed carry office to use towards applying for their concealed carry license.
Student will be required to complete registration paperwork, confirming using their signature to attest that they are the following:
1. A citizen of the United Stated of America.
2. Not currently under indictment for any criminal charges; and
3. Have not been convicted of a felony; and
4. Have never been convicted of any domestic violence offense in any jurisdiction
which involved the elements of (1) striking, kicking, shoving, or (2) purposely
or attempting to or knowingly or recklessly causing bodily injury, or (3)
negligently causing bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon; and
5. Not subject to any court order issued pursuant to Domestic Violence; and
6. Not prohibited for any reason from possessing, handling and/or
discharging firearms in the State of Ohio as per (ORC. 2923) or any Federal
7. Never been convicted of a crime in Ohio or a criminal offense in
another jurisdiction where you could have been sentenced to more than six
months in jail that has not been expunged or sealed; and
8. Never had a firearms purchaser identification card, permit to purchase a
handgun, permit to carry a handgun or any other firearms license or
application refused or revoked in Ohio or any other state; and
9. Am presently, or have never ever been a member of any organization which advocates or
approves the commission of acts of force and violence, either to overthrow the Government of the United States or of this State, or which seeks to deny others their rights under the Constitution of either the United States or the State of Ohio.
- A modern, serviceable, center-fire handgun (a semi-automatic is highly recommended)...a semi-automatic pistol or double-action revolver, .38 special, 9mm or above.
- Ear and eye protection (electronic ear-muffs preferred)
- No pocket guns such as Keltec PF9, Ruger LCP etc.
- 150 Rounds of Ammunition: factory fresh ammo only. NO RELOADS or specialty ammo such as RIP ammo etc.
- Two extra functional magazines (semi-autos) or speed-loaders (revolvers) NOT REQUIRED
- Comfortable clothing, appropriate to the weather and an outdoor range.
- Hydration system or bottled water.
- Shoes – comfortable with sufficient support to permit a full range of motion. No sandals or flip-flops.
- Long pants, shirt with higher collar, or a bandana for the neck
- Baseball cap