The goal of the Second Amendment Foundation Training Division's Defensive Handgun 2 Course is to provide the student with an opportunity to build upon the foundational skill-set and knowledge base that was acquired in Defensive Handgun 1. This will include a continued focus on the defensive mindset, and the development of marksmanship and gun handling skills needed to safely and effectively carry a concealed handgun for personal self defense.
Students will become adept at working with the handgun from the holster, including drawing safely, efficiently, and quickly, and safely re-holstering. You will learn to shoot quickly and accurately, fire multiple shots with full control and will learn to reload the pistol quickly and efficiently using both speed reloads and emergency reloads. Students will learn to shoot effectively with one hand, using the dominant hand and the non-dominant hand. We will work on mental conditioning to prepare the student to effectively deal with a sudden threat to their life or the life of another.
Defensive Handgun 2 is designed to help the student quickly develop essential skills that can help him/her prevail in a real lethal force encounters.
Defensive Handgun 2 consists of a full day of intense classroom & range training and instruction covering a variety of topics including, but not limited to:
- Gun Safety Rules and Trigger Finger & Muzzle Discipline
- The importance of the Defensive Mindset
- Review of Defensive Shooting Fundamentals
- Dry fire & Live Fire Exercises
- Presentation from a holster
- Presentation from a concealed holster
- Emergency and Speed Reloads
- Fighting stance platform
- Delivering Multiple Shots efficiently and on target
Expectations and Outcomes
Passing students will receive a certificate of completion from this course
Advanced, Intermediate, CCW
Student will be required to complete registration paperwork, confirming using their signature to attest that they are the following:
1. A citizen of the United Stated of America.
2. Not currently under indictment for any criminal charges; and
3. Have not been convicted of a felony; and
4. Have never been convicted of any domestic violence offense in any jurisdiction
which involved the elements of (1) striking, kicking, shoving, or (2) purposely
or attempting to or knowingly or recklessly causing bodily injury, or (3)
negligently causing bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon; and
5. Not subject to any court order issued pursuant to Domestic Violence; and
6. Not prohibited for any reason from possessing, handling and/or
discharging firearms in the State of Ohio as per (ORC. 2923) or any Federal
7. Never been convicted of a crime in Ohio or a criminal offense in
another jurisdiction where you could have been sentenced to more than six
months in jail that has not been expunged or sealed; and
8. Never had a firearms purchaser identification card, permit to purchase a
handgun, permit to carry a handgun or any other firearms license or
application refused or revoked in Ohio or any other state; and
9. Am presently, or have never ever been a member of any organization which advocates or
approves the commission of acts of force and violence, either to overthrow the Government of the United States or of this State, or which seeks to deny others their rights under the Constitution of either the United States or the State of Ohio.
- A modern, serviceable, center-fire handgun (Semi-Automatic Pistol or Double Action Revolver .38 special or 9mm or above.)
- Ear and Eye protection (electronic muffs preferred).
- Strong Side Holster – For safety reasons on the range our classes will use Strong Side Holsters only! - (No cross draw, shoulder rigs, pocket holsters, ankle, appendix or small of the back carry). Blackhawk Serpa and similar holsters which require the use of the index finger to deactivate a retention device will not be used in SAFTD classes. The ONLY exception is for Law Enforcement & Military who are issued these types of holsters for duty use. You need to be proficient at this task and have a holster that does not collapse when the gun is removed.
- No pocket guns such as Keltec PF9, Ruger LCP etc. You will be presenting the gun from concealment and re-holstering repeatedly.
- 200-250 rounds of Ammunition: Factory fresh ammo only. NO RELOADS, specialty or novelty ammunition
- Two extra functional magazines (semi-autos - 3 total) or speed-loaders (revolvers)
- Dual Magazine carrier optional but HIGHLY recommended.
- Shoes – comfortable with sufficient support to permit a full range of motion. No sandals or flip-flops.
- Long Pants, Shirt With Higher Collar
- Sturdy Belt
- Baseball Cap
- closed front concealment garment
- Open front concealment garment