This is a Texas Department of Public Safety certification course designed to train school teachers and employees how to respond to an active shooter.
Although it was designed for teachers and school employees that are allowed to carry in their school, it also benefits school teachers and employees who do not carry in school because you will learn how to respond to a active shooter using what is available to you. This is life saving information.
This course is a two day (15 hour min) course and includes classroom simulation training and advanced live fire training. You must already have a license to carry to take this course.
ANY school teacher or school district employee CAN take this course on their own and receive this certification regardless if your school allows you to carry in school or not.
Note: Although any school employee can receive this certification, you must still have permission from your ISD to carry in school and on the job.
Having this certification will help you in the future if the law changes or your school decides to use the guardian plan and allow certain staff to carry, you will already have this State certification and training.
For school staff that already carry in school, this course and certification will provide you with valuable life saving information, tactics and advanced handgun training.
The overall objective of this course is to educate staff on the responsibilities related to school safety who are employees of a school district or open-enrollment charter school who hold a license to carry a handgun. The outlined objectives are:
- Protection of students.
- Tactics for denying an intruder entry.
- Interaction with first responders.
- Methods for increasing accuracy with a handgun while under duress.
- Also included is how to defend against a intruder using items commonly available in a classroom.
- Also included is learning what common items you should have in your classroom to use to deny entry or defend.
- Also included is learning how to “think” under stress.
- Also included is learning how to “be prepared” for the worst case scenario.
The course is a two day course and will start at 8:00 am and end at 4:30 pm on each day. One hour lunch plus breaks are given on each day.
Upon successful completion of the course, the staff member will receive a Texas Department of Public Safety Proof of Training Certificate that can be filed in the staff member’s file at the school. It will also be filed with the Texas Department of Public Safety as part of your license to carry.
?This provides a level of training unsurpassed in Texas. Not only does it give the stakeholders a liability shield against claims, but it gives the administrators a view of the skill level of their employees.
Students must bring the following:
* A semi-automatic handgun or a revolver.38 cal or larger (2 mags for semi auto or speed loader for revolver)
* 200 rounds of ammunition.
* Eye protection.
* Ear protection.
* Closed toe shoes. No sandals or flip flops.
* No low cut V neck shirts or tank tops.
* Baseball cap or hat with a bill.
Course Fee is $210 per person (there is NO State fee required for this certification)
The instructor requires a copy of your driver's license once you register.
The instructor requires a copy of your CCW permit once you register.
Texas LTC is required or you will have to attend the course on an additional day 3.
There are no upcoming classes scheduled for this course.