This course is designed to satisfy the 2021 updated requirements to receive a Concealed Weapon Permit (CWP) and Open Carry with Training in South Carolina. The course material is divided into eight sections, which may be rearranged according student requirements, classroom and range availability, and which may take an estimated 8 hours to present.
This course will be presented in partnership with Lauri Hayes of Defensive Edge Aiken so students will receive both male and female perspective from 2 certified Concealed Weapon Permit instructos.
- Pistol Knowledge and Safe Gun Handling.
- Legal Aspects of the South Carolina CWP, Deadly Force, Aftermath.
- Avoiding Confrontation / De-escalation Techniques and Strategies, ‘Cocked and Locked’, In-Holster Retention.
- Ammunition Knowledge, Fundamentals of Pistol Shooting, Pistol Maintenance and Storage.
- Concealed Carry Methods with Considerations for Men / Women and Properly Securing a Firearm in an Open Carry Holster.
- Shooting Positions, Range Safety, Range Qualification Procedures.
Expectations and Outcomes
Students who pass the South Carolina issued written exam and qualify on the range portion will be issued training certificatation for submission to SLED for their Concealed Weapon Permit.
After Registering, please email the following information to WDSC@protonmail.com :
- What is the Manufacturer / Model / Caliber of the pistol you will use to qualify?
- Are you right or left handed
- Will you be drawing from Appendix or "strong-side"?
- Students will need to pay a seperate $10 Range Fee on the day of training, cash or Check made Payable to "Powell's Asset Protection Services"
The instructor requires a copy of your driver's license once you register.
• A pistol (less than 12” measured across its greatest length),
• Strong-side holster that will safety contain the firearm when it is not in your hands (no soft-side “Uncle Mikes” type designs)
• A sturdy belt to keep the holster firmly in place.
• Sturdy footwear and long pants – I will do some landscaping in the days before the range trip but we will be on grass that is inhabited by the typical insects in the Sumter area.
• Eye protection (prescription glasses are fine)
• Hearing protection
• Baseball style hat
• 25 Rounds ammunition in your chosen pistol caliber