There are no upcoming classes scheduled for this course.
Are you tired of standing in a stall at the range and shooting paper targets? Have you done all the dry-fire practice you can stand? How about some action?
This course will introduce you to some of the most popular action shooting sports, explain why people participate, and describe how you can get started easily and safely. You’ll run a real course of fire but with no live ammunition so you can make all your newbie mistakes safely in the classroom and not on the range.
This instructor-led course takes place in a traditional classroom environment with a simulated course of fire in a half-day format.
Additionally, students will run real courses of fire under simulated match conditions but without live ammunition. You’ll learn the range commands, how to safely draw from your holster and engage targets while moving and eventually running.
We’ll build positions on a barricade for long-distance rifle marksmanship. We’ll simulate real-life match conditions and you’ll run a course of fire – but with no live ammunition.
- why people participate in the action shooting sports
- video introduction to various disciplines and specialties
- focus on IDPA, USPSA, SCSA, PRS, NRL, and Project Appleseed
- discuss others such as Rimfire Challenge, SASS, ICORE, F-Class, Multi-Gun, 3-Gun, and Bianchi Cup
- equipment selection and requirements
- match safety rules and procedures
- match etiquette and how you can be helpful
- what not to do so you don’t get disqualified
- real-world scenarios vs. games
- PractiScore and other ways to find and sign up for matches
- explore the variety of ranges relatively near Sarasota
- apps and sites for goal-setting and tracking performance
Expectations and Outcomes
Upon completion of this course students should have a good understanding of many shooting sports, and an idea of which may appeal most to them.
Basic, Long Range Precision, Other, Rifle, Scenario Based Training, Shotgun
- Driver’s License or proof of U.S. Citizenship or birth certificate or Permanent Resident Alien card
- Children ages 8-17 must be accompanied by a responsible adult
- Eye and ear protection (or use ours)
- Dress comfortably for movement
- Notebook and pen
- Lunch, water, and snacks