There are no upcoming classes scheduled for this course.
You will receive your Maryland HQL certification at the end of this class. This course is 10 hours long and includes both classroom and range time, The NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting is intended for all individuals regardless of previous shooting experience or NRA affiliation. This is the instructor-led course where you will receive direct instruction from an NRA-certified instructor from beginning to end. you will need hearing and eye protection. A deposit must be made within 7 days of registering for the class.
Lesson I: Pistol Knowledge and Safe Gun Handling
1. State the course goal and any special requirements for the five lessons.
2. Identify the principal parts of a pistol and the types of pistol actions, and
demonstrate how they function.
3. State, explain and apply the NRA Rules for Safe Gun Handling.
4. Demonstrate how to handle a pistol in a safe manner.
Lesson II: Ammunition Knowledge and the Fundamentals of Pistol Shooting
5. Identify the different components of a pistol cartridge.
6. Explain the firing sequence of a cartridge.
7. Explain how to properly identify and store ammunition.
8. State the major types of cartridge malfunctions and how to react to them.
9. Explain the fundamentals of pistol shooting.
Lesson III: Shooting Positions and Shooting Qualifications
10. Demonstrate the learning steps to assume the benchrest position, and shoot
from the benchrest position.
11. Demonstrate the learning steps to assume the Isosceles position, and shoot from
the Isosceles position
12. Shoot the course qualification.10
NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting
Lesson IV: Scoring Targets, and Selecting and Maintaining Your Pistol
13. Properly score a pistol target.
14. Explain the basic guidelines for selecting and purchasing a pistol.
15. Identify the materials needed to clean a pistol.
16. Demonstrate how to safely clean a pistol.
Lesson V: Continued Opportunities for Skill Development
17. Identify several ways to pursue pistol shooting activities after the course.
18. Successfully complete the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course written
Basic, NRA Courses
You must be able to legally own and/or use a firearm in the United States.
If you would like to bring your own gun, great. But, we provide just about anything you would like to use.
If you are shooting our 22s, we provide the ammo for those. For any other caliber, you provide the ammunition.
You must bring:
Eye and ear protection
Drinks if you do not prefer water and/or coffee
Pen/Pencil and paper for notes
The fee $225 includes the price of the class $185 + $40 range fee.