There are no upcoming classes scheduled for this course.
Firearms Safety and Shooting Fundamentals is a class geared towards those that are new to handguns and are interested in learning gun safety and how to shoot or those that have basic knowledge and want to become better. It is also excellent for those that are considering getting their Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP), but have no knowledge or experience with handguns. The idea is to get the student to the point where they are proficient with a pistol in order to pass the SLED CWP shooting qualification required to apply for a South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit.
The concepts covered are:
- The causes of gun accidents
- The four cardinal rules of gun safety
- The parts of a pistol
- Pistol maintenance
- Proper firearms storage
- Ammunition and malfunctions
- Shooting fundamentals
- Sight Alignment/Picture
- Trigger press and follow through
- Breath control
- Shooting stance
- Live fire on a shooting range
Expectations and Outcomes
By the end of this class, the student will be competely proficient with a handgun. The student will have a solid foundation of firearms safety, different types of handguns and how they operate, as well as ammunition malfunctions and the dangers that lie within them. The student will also leave this class with an excellent foundation of the shooting fundamentals; how to properly grip a handgun, how to properly squeeze the trigger, proper sight alignment, as well as the remaining elements required to be a good shooter. The student will leave feeling accomplished after seeing a nice tight grouping on the target that was not previously possible just three hours earlier.
The instructor requires a copy of your driver's license once you register.
- A hunger to learn and become a great shooter
- A desire to break years of bad habits
- The student does not need to posess a pistol for the class. Safe Family Defense rents Gear Packs for $10 that include a pistol, holster, eyes and ear protection for those that do not own a pistol. We also carry ammunition for purchase as well in 9mm, 38 special, and .22LR.
- A pistol provided the student has one. Again, this is not necessary.
- The student will need at least 50 rounds of ammo; 100 rounds is preferred.
- No open toed shoes.
- A range fee of $10.00 will be collected from each student the day of the class.
Here are some articles that may also be helpful for those considering purchasing a handgun.
What Gun Should I Buy?
First Time Gun Ownership
Pistols Ideal For Smaller, Weaker Hands