Tactical Rifle: Level 1
Intermediate - AR-15, M-4, and AK-47
Duration: 8 hours
There are no upcoming classes scheduled for this course.
This comprehensive 1-day firearms training course introduces the intermediate student to more advanced skills of the AR-15 / M-4 rifle and the AK-47. During this course, students will learn the gun-handling skills that are necessary to safely operate and maintain this weapon system in a tactical manner.
- Firearms safety and safe gun-handling procedures.
- Introduction to the AR-15 / M-4 rifle.
- Mechanical operation of the AR-15 / M-4 rifle.
- Disassembly / reassembly.
- Function checking the AR-15 / M-4 rifle.
- Fundamentals of shooting a rifle.
- Basic gun-handling skills.
- Loading / unloading and press checking the rifle.
- Sling use and carry techniques.
- Zeroing iron sights.
- Zeroing electronic / red dot sights.
- Understanding projectile trajectory.
- Methodology of shooting the rifle.
- Confirming mechanical off-set and hold-off POI.
- Basic marksmanship and target analysis.
- Emergency reloads, tactical reloads and speed reloads.
- Malfunction clearance drills – Type 1, Type 2 and Type 3.
- Presentation from the low ready / hunt position.
- Presentation from high ready / combat ready.
- Delivering controlled pairs and head shots.
- Threat assessment and area scanning.
- Shooting positions – supported, standing, kneeling, prone.
- Preventive maintenance and cleaning.
- Basic rifle skills standard drill test and evaluation.
Expectations and Outcomes
All graduates will receive a Certificate of Completion.
- Note pad and pen
- Eye protection
- Ear protection
- Baseball type cap
- AR-15 or M-4 type rifle with iron sights and / or electronic sight
- Sling (optional but preferred)
- At least 2 magazines
- Gun cleaning kit
- AR-15 type rifle
- Rifle magazine carriers
- Rain gear
- Insect repellent
- Hydration system and/or water
- Clothing suitable for contact with the ground
- Elbow and knee pads (optional but recommended)
If you are using an electronic / red dot sight, it must be zero magnification. We also recommend having back-up iron sights on your rifle in case your electronic sight goes down.
NOTE: Due to difficulty finding ammo, we will minimize round count as much as possible. We would prefer 200 rounds but will work with whatever you are able to bring. If you cannot find it local, you may be able to find ammunition here: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/223-remington
Ammunition requirements: 200 rounds of .223 / 5.56 rifle ammunition. Must be new manufacture (Federal, Remington, Winchester, etc.) Absolutely no reloaded or remanufactured ammunition!