NRA Personal Protection Outside The Home
Duration: 9 hours - Level One; 5 hours - Level Two (14 hours total); (Estimate) this course is performance/objectives based
There are no upcoming classes scheduled for this course.
Teaches students the knowledge, skills and attitude essential for avoiding dangerous confrontations and for the safe, effective and responsible use of a concealed pistol for self-defense outside the home.
A comprehensive and intensive in its approach to equip the defensive shooting candidate with the skills needed to survive serious adversity. The course teaches students the knowledge, skills and attitude essential for avoiding dangerous confrontations and for the safe, effective and responsible use of a concealed pistol for self-defense outside the home. Students have the opportunity to attend this course using a quality strong side hip holster that covers the trigger, or a holster purse. From a review of safe firearms handling and proper mindset to presentation from concealment and multiple shooting positions, this course contains the essential skills and techniques needed to prevail in a life-threatening situation.
The NRA Personal Protection outside the Home is divided into two levels (basic and advanced). Level one is a nine-hour course and offers the essential knowledge and skills that must be mastered in order to carry, store, and use a firearm safely and effectively for personal protection outside the home. Upon completion of level one, students may choose to attend level two, which is an additional five hours of range training and teaches advanced shooting skills. After the classroom portion, students should expect to spend several hours on the range and shoot approximately 100 rounds of ammunition during level one. Level two involves five additional hours on the range and approximately 115 rounds of ammunition.
- Lesson 1: Introduction to Concealed Carry Safety and the Defensive Mindset
- Lesson 2: Introduction to Self-Defense and Concealed Carry
- Lesson 3: Legal Aspects of Concealed Carry and Self-Defense
- Lesson 4: Carry Modes and Concealment
- Lesson 5: Presenting the Pistol from Concealment
- Lesson 6: Presentation, Position and Movement
- Lesson 7: Special Shooting Techniques
- Lesson 8: Sporting Shooting Activities and Training Opportunities
- Lesson 9: Course Review and Examination
Expectations and Outcomes
Students will receive:
- NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection Outside The Home handbook
- NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure
- The appropriate course completion certificates(s), NRA Basic Personal Protection Outside The Home (identifies strong-side hip holster or purse use) certificate, or NRA Advanced Personal Protection Outside The Home certificate.
Advanced, CCW, NRA Courses, Scenario Based Training
Course Pre-requisites: NRA Personal Protection inside the Home Course or Pre-Course Assessment
The NRA Basics of Personal Protection outside the Home is for adult individuals who are not disqualified from possessing a firearm as defined by applicable federal, state, or local law and are of good repute and possess defensive pistol skills presented in the NRA Basics of Personal Protection in the Home Course. Participants must also understand the basic legal concepts relating to the use of firearms in self-defense, and must know and observe not only general gun safety rules, but also those safety principles that are specific to defensive situations. Prospective participants can demonstrate that they have the requisite knowledge, skills, and attitudes by producing an NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home Course Certificate, or by passing the pre-course evaluation.
The instructor requires a copy of your driver's license once you register.
- Ear and Eye protection (electronic muffs preferred)
- Holster – strong side holster - (no cross draws or shoulder rigs).
- Women's Holster Purses will be provided for instructional purposes of the optional lesson.
- No pocket guns or holsters. You will be presenting the gun from concealment and re-holstering approx. 100 to 150 times. You need to be proficient at this task and have a holster that does not collapse when the gun is removed.
- Concealment garment, light jacket, shirt or vest.
- Shoes – comfortable with sufficient support to permit a full range of motion. No sandals or flip-flops.
- Semi-Automatic Pistol or Revolver with holster (Outside the belt/waist band) No SERPA holsters permitted.
- Two extra functional magazines (semi-autos) or speed-loaders (revolvers).
- Comfortable clothing, knee-pads (optional but recommended).
- Dual Magazine carrier (optional but HIGHLY recommended).
- Hydration system or Bottled water.
- Optional Items are a hat, sunscreen, bug repellant, and rain gear. We will be on the range uncovered and exposed to the elements for the entire day – be prepared. Class is on RAIN or SHINE.
Ammunition: 300 rounds of factory ammunition (38 spl., 9mm, 40 S&W or 45ACP) (NO RELOADS) (Ammunition will be available for purchase at Ed’s Gun Shop)