NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting - Blended Format
Basic - Come to acquire knowledge, skills and attitude to possess and operate a handgun safely and responsibly
Duration: about 5 hours classroom and 2 hours range time
There are no upcoming classes scheduled for this course.
The NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting (BPS) class is composed of two parts. This class is for the in-person Part II only. The student can purchase a voucher for the on-line Part I from the NRA web-site directly ($60) or from me (I provide 25% discount).
- BPS Part I: on-line self-paced course, about 8 hours of learning. This on-line class covers lot of material, no need to rush, there is a lot to absorb at your own pace.
- BPS Part II: upon completion of BPS Part I, you will be attending an in-person class, between 5 to 8 hours, composed of the following sessions:
- session #1: classroom-based activities, 4 to 6 hours, reviewing BPS Part I, practicing dry-firing drills with a semi-automatic handgun and 2 revolvers.
- session #2: range-based activities, about 2 hours, private coaching and qualifications with a semi-automatic handgun. Upon appointment only, the time slot to pick is pretty flexible: generally during the workdays from 11am thru 2pm, or in the evenings after 9:30pm
- session #3: classroom-based, about 1 hour, cleaning a firearm, and wrapping up
ShootingClasses.com processing fee included.
- validation of the comprehension and application of gun safety rules
- range protocol
- proper handling, loading and unloading procedures
- application of pistol shooting fundamentals
- stable shooting positions
- live fire
- final qualification
Expectations and Outcomes
Pocket-sized laminated card and letter-sized NRA Basics of Pistol Certificates.
If the student also takes the FSC, a FSC laminated card will be issued.
Basic, NRA Courses
Upon registration, the student will receive further information via a Student Welcome Letter.
The instructor requires a copy of your Government Issued ID once you register.
In order to attend the in-person Part II, the student shall have completed the on-line portyion BPS Part I. If you need a voucher, I provide it for $45 (MSRP $60 from the NRA web-site). Proof of completion issued at the end of Part I will be requested to enroll in part II.
The student will need to bring his/her firearm. A semi-automatic .22LR is highly recommended to focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship. Bring 200 rounds of target practice ammunition for your firearm. No steel projectiles.
If you don't own your firearm, a Firearm Discovery Package loaner is proposed for a $35 fee, comprising a .22LR semi-automatic pistol for coaching and qualifications, and a 9mm Glock for higher power semi-automatic pistol.
Ammunition for the Firearm Discovery Package: due to California new laws, you will need to visit an ammunition dealer to purchase your own ammunition for the range activities, after a background check is conducted: you will need about 200 rounds of .22LR and 50 rounds of 9mm Luger. Bass Pro Shop (5160 Cherry Ave San Jose, CA-95118) is an ammunition dealer. If you already own a firearm, a $1 ammunition eligibility check will be run instantaneously. If you don't own a firearm, a $19 background check will be conducted by the ammunition vendor with up to 10 days waiting period.
Firearm Safety Certificate (FSC) - optional: as Instructor with the Department of Justice, I can administer the FSC test and deliver the FSC cards to purchase a firearm in California - $25