NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting - Instructor-Led
Basic - Come to acquire knowledge, skills and attitude to possess and operate a handgun safely and responsibly
Duration: about 8 hours classroom and 2 hours range time
There are no upcoming classes scheduled for this course.
The NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting (BPS) class is composed of the following sessions, all happening in-person:
- session #1: classroom-based activities, 6 to 8 hours, learning safety, firearm & ammunition terminology, the fundamentals of pistol shooting, practicing dry-firing drills with a semi-automatic handgun and 2 revolvers.
- session #2: range-based activities, about 2 hours, private coaching and qualifications with a semi-automatic handgun. Upon appointment only, the time slot to pick is pretty flexible: generally during the workdays from 11am thru 2pm, or in the evenings after 9:30pm
- session #3: classroom-based, about 1 hour, cleaning a firearm, and wrapping up
- validation of the comprehension and application of gun safety rules
- range protocol
- proper handling, loading and unloading procedures
- application of pistol shooting fundamentals
- stable shooting positions
- live fire
- final qualification
Expectations and Outcomes
Pocket-sized laminated card and letter-sized NRA Basics of Pistol Certificates.
If the student also takes the FSC, a FSC laminated card will be issued.
This class is a pre-requisite to enroll in the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Instructor Track, to become a NRA BPS Instructor.
Basic, NRA Courses
Upon registration, the student will receive further information via a Student Welcome Letter.
The instructor requires a copy of your driver's license once you register.
The student will need to bring his/her firearm. A semi-automatic .22LR is highly recommended to focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship. Bring 200 rounds of target practice ammunition for your firearm. No steel projectiles.
If you don't own your firearm, a Firearm Discovery Package loaner is proposed for a $35 fee, comprising a .22LR semi-automatic pistol for coaching and qualifications, and a 9mm Glock for higher power semi-automatic pistol.
Ammunition for the Firearm Discovery Package: due to California new laws, you will need to visit an ammunition dealer to purchase your own ammunition for the range activities, after a background check is conducted: you will need about 200 rounds of .22LR and 50 rounds of 9mm Luger. Bass Pro Shop (5160 Cherry Ave San Jose, CA-95118) is an ammunition dealer. If you already own a firearm, a $1 ammunition eligibility check will be run instantaneously. If you don't own a firearm, a $19 background check will be conducted by the ammunition vendor with up to 10 days waiting period.
Firearm Safety Certificate (FSC) - optional: as Instructor with the Department of Justice, I can administer the FSC test and deliver the FSC cards to purchase a firearm in California - $25