There are no upcoming classes scheduled for this course.
This course will explore the incredible capabilities of the shotgun as a defensive tool. Based on configuration and ammunition, the shotgun can dispatch any living threat on the planet and is a great choice for home defense. Students will learn basic and emergency loading and reloading techniques, defensive shooting stances, home intrusion defense tactics, dim light shooting, maintenance and more.
- Universal Safety Rules
- Mechanisms of operation of all common types of shotguns
- The gauge system and different types of projectiles, ammo for home defense
- Outfitting with accessories
- Shooting positions and holds
- Dry drills / loading and reloading
- Live-fire drills daylight
- Live-fire drills dim light
- Live-fire multiple targets
- Ballistics demonstration
- Debrief and critique
Expectations and Outcomes
- Understand the best safety practices for using a shotgun at home or for self defense
- Appreciate what different projectiles do and the purpose for them
- Recognize the capabilities of the shotgun for home defense
- Shooting from natural and unconventional positions
- Developing more efficient reloading skills
- Recognizing light and its affect on shooting
- Live-fire skills scenario test
Basic, Intermediate, In Home Defense Training, Scenario Based Training, Shotgun, USCCA Courses
18 year old PA Resident or 14 with paid parent. Persons ineligible to possess firearms are not permitted in this course.
This course has some physical demands and participants should evaluate their level of fitness and ability for recoil.
- 12 or 20 gauge shotguns only
- Pump or semi, smooth bore barrel suggested
- Double barreled coach guns, Mossberg Shockwave and Remington Tac 14 are permitted for adult shooters
- No other gauges or single-shot guns permitted
- Weapon mounted lights, side shell carriers and slings are preferred but not required
- Eye and hearing protection
- Long pants and sturdy shoes
- 25 rounds of standard field or trap load shells for the firearm
- 5 rounds of slugs
- 5 rounds of 00 or 000 buckshot or similar self-defense load
- Comfort items such as sunscreen, bug spray etc.
- Feel free to bring a snack and a drink.