Defensive Pistol 1
Basic - Developing the core for your defensive shooting skills
Duration: 6 hours range time
Mark and Amy Farrow
There are no upcoming classes scheduled for this course.
This course goes beyond the basic fundamentals of firearms safety, and introduces you to the skills you need to defend yourself with a handgun. We will work with you to improve your confidence, accuracy, and mindset, and show you some techniques to drill with to hone your abilities.
(*course price includes fee for range use).
In this course, we will quickly go over the following:
- We will review the 4 Primary Rules of Firearms Safety.
- We will review making a firearm safe.
- We will review loading a magazine and the firearm.
Then we will work with you on the following techniques/ skills:
- Sight Picture
- Trigger Discipline
- Changing magazines / reloading the firearm
- Drawing from a holster / Defeating garments
- Clearing malfunctions
- Situational awareness
- Dry fire techniques
Expectations and Outcomes
At the end of this course, students will come away with a better understanding of how to responsibly use their handguns. They will have the basic techniques that they can practice at home safely, and improve their comfort and confidence levels when carrying a handgun.
Basic, Intermediate, NRA Courses
The instructor requires a copy of your Government Issued ID once you register.
For this course, students should bring the following:
- a quality handgun in good working condition. We would prefer semi-automatics, but if you are more comfortable with your own revolver, we can accomidate. Just let us know in advance, so we remember to bring ours!
- Ear and eye protection. (ANSI Z87+ / Z87.1 rated eyewear, and 25+db Noise Reduction Rated (NRR) earpro - preferably electronic so you can hear us while you're wearing them).
- at least 2 working magazines for your handgun. (or at least 1 speed loader
- 150 rounds of factory ammunition for your handgun. (Please refrain from bringing reloaded ammunition.)
- A quality made retention holster for your handgun. (If you don't have one, please let us know in advance.)
- A sturdy belt for the holster.
- Sunscreen/ Bugspray (we will be outside in WI).
- Clothing suitable for weather (sweatshirt, rain coat, thin gloves, baseball hat)
- Personal preference for snacks/ hydration (NO Alcohol)
- Belt-attached magazine holster/ pouch. (at least one. the more the merrier!)