This is the class for you, if you:
Have successfully completed “SVA Basic Pistol 1 – How to Shoot a Handgun” OR can demonstrate equivalent competency
Are ready to take your handgun shooting to the next level and build confidence at 7-, 10- and 15-yard distances.
Are ready to experience some “beyond the basics” pistol training with time pressure as well as distance and target variation
Want to master the skills needed to confidently pass the Texas LTC qualification
Basic Pistol 2 is an advanced fundamentals course which builds on the basics established in Basic Pistol 1. The class runs 4 hours. The LTC qual usually takes an additional hour.
This class takes place entirely at East Texas Rifle & Pistol Club. There is no classroom portion.
In this class, we will cover:
- A review of your marksmanship fundamentals
- Diagnostics of common shooting errors
- Clearing the three types of handgun malfunctions
- Shooting accurately at 7- and 15-yard distances (many defensive scenarios occur beyond 3 yds)
- One-handed shooting (Nothing says you will be able to use both hands in a real defensive incident)
- Shooting under time pressure
- Dry fire techniques you can use at home to continue improving
- Optional – Those who successfully complete the class will be offered the opportunity to take an official Texas LTC Shooting Proficiency Demonstration test for the LTC-100 form.
Expectations and Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this class you will:
- Be confidently and safely shooting at 3, 7 and 15 yards
- Be confidently and safely clearing malfunctions of your handgun
- Have experienced a range of shooting styles which may occur in defensive situations
- Have experienced shooting under time pressure
- Optional - Receive your Shooting Proficiency LTC-100 form (if applicable)
The instructor requires a copy of your Government Issued ID once you register.
Prerequisites: SVA Basic Pistol 1 OR demonstrated comparable ability
- This class requires that you already know the basics – grip, stance, use of sights, breath control and how to keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target. If you cannot show basic competency with these fundamentals, you will not be allowed to take the class.
- This class requires that you be able to pass (at 75% or better) the simple, 20-round NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting qualification at three (3) yards. If you cannot score 75% or better on this simple test you will be asked to reschedule to a different class.
- Students under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Students wishing to use our handgun+ammunition packages must be 21 or older.
- Contact your instructor for information loaner packages.
- 200 rds minimum (250 rds recommended)
- New, name-brand factory ammunition in mfg box (No reloads. Prohibited by law for the Texas LTC qual.)
- Must meet SAAMI specs
- Students should bring their own semiautomatic pistol or revolver, or purchase a “Loaner Package” which includes a semi-automatic pistol/ammo/PPE for use during the class.
- .22 caliber or greater, in good working order
- No modifications which may affect safety
- Firearm will be inspected for safety prior to shooting
- No Optics - No Red Dots, prism sights or optical enhancers. You can use optics in class, but they are prohibited by law for the Texas LTC Qual.
- Can be rented from us
- Ear protection: Over-the-ear muffs preferred. Must be firearm rated. Absolutely no music earbuds or AirPods
- Eye protection: Safety glasses. For prescription wearers we have over-glasses safety eyewear.
- Classes run Rain or Shine. Please be prepared for inclement weather.
- Cap or hat with visor
- Collared shirt - no tank tops, halters or v-necks. Ladies, no brass-catching cleavage please.
- Closed-toe shoes - no sandals, flip-flops or open footwear. Ladies, no heels please.